[PC-BSD Testing] localization and time (ntp.conf)

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 14:00:57 PDT 2011

Hello..

I am wondering about how we could include configuration for ntpd
(ntp.conf) in a way
that is more specific to the localization setting chosen by the user
during installation.
I am also thinking that this could be set automatically without
interaction or only to
choose a more specific server.

We have the ntp.conf file which includes the FreeBSD time server
pools, but also in
there is mention of how specific country time server pools could be
defined, which
I did manually as in the snippet below:  ( 'us' had been 'CC' )

#server 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9
#server 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9
#server 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9
#server 3.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9

#
# If you want to pick yourself which country's public NTP server
# you want sync against, comment out the above servers, uncomment
# the next ones and replace CC with the country's abbreviation.
# Make sure that the hostnames resolve to a proper IP address!
#
 server 0.us.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9
 server 1.us.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9
 server 2.us.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9

The ntp.org site seems to suggest that time server pools can be chosen
in varying
degrees of exactness, from worldwide down to continent down to
subcontinent/country.

Potentially it could be arranged similar to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime#Using%20the%20GUI
and there seems to be enough space for inclusion here
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/File:9installer1a.png

In my opinion, it may be best to keep the numbers of questions or options and
configurations during installation to a minimum. I see the potential
for this time server
pool to be chosen automatically, based upon the user's choice of
localization.. at least
it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

So, anyone who would be implementing this or has knowledge of what is
involved, is
welcomed/encouraged to chime in.. I suppose this is at heart a feature
request/suggestion.