[PC-BSD Testing] pc-controlpanel is not i18n-ready

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa gour at atmarama.net
Sun Apr 3 03:55:33 PDT 2011

I'm a new happy PC-BSD user just migrated from Linux. :-)

Latest 9.0 snapshot is quite OK - my wifi works practically
out-of-the-box and I have sound in my USB headphones (didn't have time
to tweak it more).

Here I'd like to mention one possible problem for non-US users...

If I start pc-controlpanel and want to tweak network settings, due to
my locale setup, I cannot see most of the labels probably because the
application is not properly i18n-ed.

The ugly workaround which I use is that I've created panel.sh script
with the following content:

export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

and then I can use it.

Another related problem, is also that I've icons in the systray for my
Ethernet (wired) & Wifi (wlan) connections, but for the same reason, I
cannot see any option when righ-clicking with the mouse on the icon.

It would be nice that very capable networkmaneger get more i18n

“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)