[PC-BSD Testing] mirror fails in 8.2 too (was Re: Next 64bit Snapshot)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Apr 1 06:10:32 PDT 2011

On 04/01/2011 04:08, Gour wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:05:42 -0400
> Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.org>  wrote:
>
> Hello Kris,
>
>> I'm re-testing all the mirror options here as well. It was working at
>> one point back during 8.0 cycle, but I think some ZFS changes broke
>> it, and gmirror may be working a bit different in later releases as
>> well. I'll ping back when I get some working setups done :)
> Yesterday I was finally install PC-BSD on my desktop machine, but was
> not able to create mirror and run on one hard-disk only.
>
> The problem is that installer is contributing to the GPT corruption
> which is nicely described in:
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=22125&highlight=gpt+corrupt
>
> The problem is: "If you partitioned your disk before setting up the
> mirror, then GPT will have placed its secondary header in the last
> sector of the disk.
>
> When you then set up a gmirror, it will have stored its metadata also
> in the last sector of the disk, clobbering the secondary GPT header.",
> so installer would have to swap the order of its operations, iow,
> partitioning&  mirroring.
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

I've been testing and fixing gmirror support this week, and have it
working with ZFS & UFS systems layouts now. The basic problem was that
swap-partition was still active on the disk when the installer tried to
initialized the gmirror, which prevented it from working. The next
snapshot is still rolling, and when its done I'll re-test these and
release it. (Along with a 32bit snapshot as well)