[PC-BSD Testing] mirror fails in 8.2 too (was Re: Next 64bit Snapshot)

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri Apr 1 01:08:12 PDT 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:05:42 -0400
Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

Hello Kris,

> I'm re-testing all the mirror options here as well. It was working at
> one point back during 8.0 cycle, but I think some ZFS changes broke
> it, and gmirror may be working a bit different in later releases as
> well. I'll ping back when I get some working setups done :)

Yesterday I was finally install PC-BSD on my desktop machine, but was
not able to create mirror and run on one hard-disk only.

The problem is that installer is contributing to the GPT corruption
which is nicely described in:

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=22125&highlight=gpt+corrupt

The problem is: "If you partitioned your disk before setting up the
mirror, then GPT will have placed its secondary header in the last
sector of the disk.

When you then set up a gmirror, it will have stored its metadata also
in the last sector of the disk, clobbering the secondary GPT header.",
so installer would have to swap the order of its operations, iow,
partitioning & mirroring.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
___In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations______ (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: CDBF17CA