[PC-BSD Testing] again: PCBSD 8.1 does not boot

Productnews productnews at hvf.ch
Tue Sep 28 10:51:31 PDT 2010

Hello Kris, here my answer to your question (below):

> On 09/08/2010 15:33, Productnews wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> I have asked this before (Aug 6, 2010), but got no help yet.
>> How can I install the correct boot blocks on disk ad6 (slice 3 is PCBSD
>> 8.1) without redoing the whole installation? What would be the correct
>> choice during installation, keeping in mind that I also have Linux and
>> DesktopBSD on the same disk (Linux and DesktopBSD boot without problem)?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Harald
>> UNIX fossile
>>
>> my earlier message:
>>
>>> I have a desktop system with 4 SATA disks, ad4, ad5, ad6, ad7, running
>>> FreeBSD 8.0, DesktopBSD, Ubuntu 8.10, and I have installed PCBSD 8.0
>>> and
>>> 8.1.
>>> The PCBSD 8.1 installation is fresh from today (using the USB stick
>>> image). The slice ad6s3 was made by fdisk on Linux, the partitions
>>> within this slice are default partitions as suggested by the PCBSD
>>> install wizard. I also had the PCBSD boot manager installed and use
>>> UFS+S file systems.
>>>
>>> Here are the slices I use:
>>>
>>> ad4s1        Linux boot   (200M)
>>> ad4s2        PCBSD 8.0    (40G)
>>> ad4s3        FreeBSD 8.0  (40G)
>>>
>>> ad6s1        Linux boot   (200M)
>>> ad6s2        DesktopBSD (7.2 based)  (20G)
>>> ad6s3        PCBSD 8.1    (40G)
>>>
>>> the other disks and slices are used as Linux mirrors and are not
>>> relevant here.
>>>
>>> I use Linux grub as boot manager. Here are the entries for the various
>> BSDs:
>>>
>>> 1. FreeBSD 8.0
>>> title       FreeBSD 8.0 on (hd0,2,a) ad4s3
>>> root        (hd0,2,a)
>>> kernel      /boot/loader

>>> 2. DesktopBSD
>>> title       DesktopBSD on (hd2,1,a) ad6s2
>>> root        (hd2,1,a)
>>> kernel      /boot/loader

>>> 3a. PCBSD 8.1 first variant
>>>
>>> title       PCBSD 8.1 on (hd2,2) ad6s3
>>> rootnoverify (hd2,2)
>>> chainloader +1

>>> 3b. PCBSD 8.1 second variant
>>> title       PCBSD 8.1 on (hd2,2,a) ad6s3
>>> rootnoverify (hd2,2,a)
>>> chainloader +1

>>> F2  FreeBSD
>>> F3  FreeBSD
>>> F5  Drive 4
>>> F6  PXE
>>>
>>> when I choose F3 for PCBSD 8.1, the system "does nothing" (i.e. loops),
>>> and with ctl-alt-del I reboot the system.
>>>
>>> 3c. PCBSD 8.1 third variant: I tried the same procedure as FreeBSD and
>>> DesktopBSD use:
>>> title       PCBSD 8.1 on (hd2,2,a) ad6s3
>>> root        (hd2,2,a)
>>> kernel      /boot/loader

>>> root        (hd2,2,a)
>>>     Filesystem type unknown,
>>>     partition type 0xa5
>>> kernel      /boot/loader
>>>     Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
>>>     Press any key to continue

> [...]

I use standard UFS, here is the partitionn table of slice ad6s3:

# disklabel ad6s3
# /dev/ad6s3:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  4194304        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0
  b:  8384512  4194304      swap
  c: 83907495        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit
  d:  2097152 12578816    4.2BSD        0     0     0
  e: 69220352 14675968    4.2BSD        0     0     0
#

/etc/fstab:
# Device		Mountpoint		FStype		Options	Dump Pass
/dev/label/rootfs1  	/	ufs	rw,noatime 1 1
/dev/label/swap1	none	swap	sw 0 0
/dev/label/var1  	/var	ufs	rw,noatime	1	1
/dev/label/usr1  	/usr	ufs	rw,noatime	1	1
procfs			/proc	procfs	rw		0	0
linprocfs	/compat/linux/proc	linprocfs	rw	0	0
tmpfs			/tmp	tmpfs	rw,mode=1777	0	0
#

I do not use ZFS at all - I did not see a ZFS option in the install menu.

thanks and regards

Harald