[PC-BSD Testing] Tuning power consumptions on notebooks

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Thu Sep 16 12:59:08 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:23:42AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20100916123300.GH59295 at e.0x20.net>
>             Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> writes:
> : Hey Kris et al.,
> :
> :
> : I think a pretty low hanging fruit to grab for a longer battery life on
> : notebook would be to implement mav's howto to tune the power consumption
> : on notebooks: http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption
>
> The few sysctls are likely best.  Mav@ did advocate desoldering parts,
> which is kinda hard to do from the installer.

Well, the installer could present the best prices for soldering irons. ;-)

> : Perhaps the installer could ask if the installation is to a notebook and
> : set the right sysctls?
>
> We already detect that by detecting a batter :)

Oh okay. But are there already any specific actions taken when PCBSD is
running on a notebook?

> : There are also some vendor-specific acpi modules acpi_ibm, acpi_asus,...
> : The Vendor can automatically determined with 'dmidecode -s
> : system-vendor', so the installer can ask if the module should get loaded
> : at boot time.
>
> better to load them all in the installer, and see which one(s) attach
> and put only those in the loader.conf you need.

Good idea. What about acpi_dock? I remember that my HP notebook panicked
when I removed it from the docking station without the module loaded.