[PC-BSD Testing] Installer suggested partition layout

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Thu Sep 16 05:02:35 PDT 2010

On Sep 16, 2010, at 5:09 AM, Rob Fortune <rob.fortune at live.com> wrote:

> PC-BSD is targeted at desktop machines afaik?
>
> In this environment it doesn't make a lot of sense to have separate
> partitions for /var, /usr, etc. On a server it's very important of
> course but on a desktop when you run out of disk space you see errors
> pop up and delete some files. When targeting PC-BSD not FreeBSD as the
> installation target, it's more appropriate to have one big /.

The pragmatic reason not to have just / on UFS on FreeBSD or PC-BSD is / has to be foreground fsck'd after an unclean shutdown. So it's in your best interest to keep it as small as possible.

ZFS root is becoming more feasible, but you pay a price for using ZFS in decreased interactive response.

FreeBSD 9 has a journalling UFS, but that's still a year away.

Working suspend/resume would be really nice too. I don't really care if boot is slow if I never have to.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel