[PC-BSD Testing] Fwd: Multiple bugs in installer

Rob Fortune rob.fortune at live.com
Wed Sep 15 15:48:30 PDT 2010

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install PC-BSD. So far these are the bugs I have found in
the installer:

1) I am not able to set my timezone. A guess would be this is because I
live in the UK and selected UK as keyboard layout:

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/plasmadesktope23017.png/

2) Your mirror list for netinstall contains an incorrect entry:

ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/iso/8.1/i386/netinstall =>
ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror/8.1/i386/netinstall/

3) Your mirror list is very tiny:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=intitle%3A%22index+of%22+8.1+pcbsd+ufs+uzip&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=8cfe031445db23c2

4) The installer keeps failing for various reasons. If an HTTP transfer
fails that should not abort the whole install you should be able to
retry/resume.

5) This one might be hard to reproduce so I will describe what I did
exactly:

I created a disk layout with "whole disk" and install freebsd boot
loader. I made a partition of type zfs basic mounted to / of size
148526mb as the first partition and then made a swap partition of 4096mb
which filled the rest of the disk. This install failed. I rebooted the
machine and attempted another install. In simple partitioner I selected
use entire disk and install bootloader. Went to the the advanced
partitioner and this time put the swap partition first of size 4096 and
made ZFS basic mounted at / for the rest of the disk. This caused the
partitioning mechanism to fail. I should have grabbed the log but didn't
so sorry for that.

My best guess is it expected me to delete the existing partition first
in the simple partitioner and got confused. This is however just a wild
guess. I zero'd sector 0 with Linux and retried the same setup (SWAP of
4096 followed by ZFS / basic taking the remaining disk). It is currently
installing without problem, from the following mirror:

http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/pcbsd/8.1/i386/netinstall

Which wasn't included in your list and is a lot faster :)

You can use that google search I provided above to keep a more
up-to-date mirror list. Obviously it will need screening for nasties but
I think the University of Crete computer centre should be a reliable
enough mirror and I hope you have some form of signature checking in
place anyways.

6) You need a few more expert buttons or a way to jump to terminal.

7) You should consider using aria2c or a similar program to download the
files(s) needed. It can make the use of multiple mirrors at once
distributing load, spreading out bandwidth usage more evenly and giving
the user faster download speeds.

That's it for now :)