[PC-BSD Testing] Dialup Utility?

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Sat Sep 11 06:48:29 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 08:14:58AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <BAY143-W6DDC6A730397B55C56326AC700 at phx.gbl>
>             Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca> writes:
> :
> :
> : > >> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=12829
> : > >>
> : > >> I honestly think people should try and port NetworkManger to FreeBSD
> : > >> ... it would be very beneficial for all.
> : > >
> : > >
> : > > It looks like adding
> http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/usb-modeswitch-1.1.1.tar.bz2
> and http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/usb_modeswitch.setup to
> the base system would be useful for 3G users.
> : > >
> : > > Kris, are there any plans to add more options to the PPP/PPPoE
> section of Systems Network Configuration for 9.0? We could get people
> from the forums to test additions to see if it helps them in their
> modem setup process.
> : > >
> : > > Cheers,
> : > >
> : > > Dru
> : > >
> : >
> : > I could probably add those features to the GUI, I just will need some
> : > specifics on what features to add, since I don't have a USB / tethering
> : > modem to test with.
> : >
> : > If you or others can give me the values configuration options you need
> : > in the GUI, and where they need to be saved on the system, I can add
> : > them pretty easily.
> : >
> : > Also, that usbmodeswitch stuff, is that a port, or will it become a port
> : > at some point?
> :
> : It's not currently a port.
> :
> : I'll put a call out on the blog for testers and to see if anyone is willing to port.
>
> Does it need to be?  FreeBSD 8 doesn't need it, it seems.  It is a
> hack to force the old usb stack to cope with the weirdness of having a
> cdrom appear there...

I know that Kris is already working on a GUI, but FWIW:

The tool Dru mentions is not needed. The functionality is included in
u3g(4).
To get the 3G modems connected, one needs the appropiate connection data
from his wireless provider. An exhaustive list of APNs, Usernames and
Passwords can be found here:
http://forums.pinstack.com/f24/tcp_apn_wap_gateway_port_carrier_settings-360/

Lars