[PC-BSD Testing] again: PCBSD 8.1 does not boot

Productnews productnews at hvf.ch
Wed Sep 8 12:33:45 PDT 2010

Dear all

I have asked this before (Aug 6, 2010), but got no help yet.
How can I install the correct boot blocks on disk ad6 (slice 3 is PCBSD
8.1) without redoing the whole installation? What would be the correct
choice during installation, keeping in mind that I also have Linux and
DesktopBSD on the same disk (Linux and DesktopBSD boot without problem)?

Thanks!

Harald
UNIX fossile

my earlier message:

> I have a desktop system with 4 SATA disks, ad4, ad5, ad6, ad7, running
> FreeBSD 8.0, DesktopBSD, Ubuntu 8.10, and I have installed PCBSD 8.0 and
> 8.1.
> The PCBSD 8.1 installation is fresh from today (using the USB stick
> image). The slice ad6s3 was made by fdisk on Linux, the partitions
> within this slice are default partitions as suggested by the PCBSD
> install wizard. I also had the PCBSD boot manager installed and use
> UFS+S file systems.
>
> Here are the slices I use:
>
> ad4s1        Linux boot   (200M)
> ad4s2        PCBSD 8.0    (40G)
> ad4s3        FreeBSD 8.0  (40G)
>
> ad6s1        Linux boot   (200M)
> ad6s2        DesktopBSD (7.2 based)  (20G)
> ad6s3        PCBSD 8.1    (40G)
>
> the other disks and slices are used as Linux mirrors and are not
> relevant here.
>
> I use Linux grub as boot manager. Here are the entries for the various
BSDs: