[PC-BSD Testing] Dialup Utility?

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Tue Sep 7 11:15:13 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> In message: <FF754228-C084-4993-AB4A-7682B8457270 at charter.net>
>            Wilbert Leeper <protagonist at charter.net> writes:
> : You might want to start here.   http://bsd.vwsoft.com/3g/umts.php
>
> That's a great site to start with.  it wasn't vap, but apn that I was
> thinking of.  We can likely get apn values from the iphone community
> that have produced carrier packs for the iphone for non-at&t
> carriers.  These have the proper apns in them, and we might be able to
> leverage that knowledge.
>
> : But other than that try a google search 3g modem command sets. Looks
> : to me like they just extended the old AT command set to include
> : commands for the 3g stuff.
>
> Yes, that's right.  It is a standard AT command set, with extensions.
>
> Warner
>
> : On Sep 6, 2010, at 9:45 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> :
> : > In message: <BAY143-W717348E66E4F2819FA704AC700 at phx.gbl>
> : >            Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca> writes:
> : > :
> : > :
> : > : > The hard part here is that the different modem families have different
> : > : > init strings.  The third line of the above is specific both to 3G
> : > : > modems (the AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP", part of the command) as well as
> : > : > specific to my country and carrier (the last bit:
> : > : > "internet2.voicestream.com").  Also, the phone number varies between
> : > : > carriers and technology used.  authname/authkey likely would also need
> : > : > to be configurable.
> : > : >
> : > : > When I setup my modem, the hardest part was finding line 3 above :)
> : > :
> : > :
> : > : How is the finding usually done? e.g. does the provider or the modem
> : > : manufacturer usually include this  info in their documentation or is
> : > : the user required to try their  luck with Google? Adding how to find
> : > : the required  info to this screen's  help button would  be useful. I
> : > : notice some bugs in this screan  and will start a separate thread on
> : > : those.
> : >
> : > For me, it was trial and error.  There wasn't a table anywhere of
> : > these things (I think called VAPs or something similar).  But I think
> : > if we have the right terminology, we may save people lots of
> : > Googling.  I could help out with some of that, at least for the
> : > current generation of 3G cards.  Likely we'll need something different
> : > with the 4G stuff, but we won't know that until we get the gear.

I'm meeting Kris at Ohio LinuxFest next weekend. I've got my FreeBSD
box and my Sprint 3G USB AirModem that works great on PC-BSD. I still
have to manually switch between 3G/wifi/wired and it's annoying not
having a status or signal strength but sitting on a bench at the park,
running PC-BSD while surfing the net? Priceless! I'll let him checkout
the setup :)

-matt