[PC-BSD Testing] consistent System Settings

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Sep 7 08:12:21 PDT 2010

On 09/06/2010 16:00, Dru Lavigne wrote:

>> I thought about this while reviewing 8.1, and the solution that I thought
>> would be better is to have all the non-root tasks in one panel of the
>> Control Center and all the tasks that require root privilege in a second
>> (Advanced) panel.
>>
>> We can take it a step further by requesting root authentication to get
>> into the Advanced panel, that way, you would not have to re-authenticate
>> until you exit the Advanced panel.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>

> I really like that idea, dividing the tasks into User Settings and Administrator Settings sections.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru

I also like that idea, it would make a lot more sense than the way it is
currently done. I think to make it ultimately successful though, we
should try to push this upstream, since this would be a great thing for
all of KDE and then we won't have to struggle to maintain a fork of
their system-settings tool.

To bring everybody up to speed though on my thinking about this, for 9.0
as most of you know we will begin to support multiple desktop
environments, such as KDE4/Gnome/XFCE4. This is a great feature that
many users have wanted for years now, but we will need to make some
adjustments to our tools & utilities to make this work smoothly. Since
system-settings is apart of KDE4, and we can't rely on KDE always being
loaded and I've already started to diverge our BSD specific tools from
the system-settings utility.

Right now I'm leaning towards creating our own "settings" top level
program, which in turns provides icons / ways to load all the other
specific system tools, like network configuration, user management,
system-diagnostics, etc. The advantage to this is that we can provide a
very consistent configuration experience, regardless of the particular
desktop being used, which helps with documentation :)

Dru,

I'd like to brainstorm this a bit with you, Matt and Josh this weekend
at OLF, but if anybody else has ideas, feel free to throw them in!

- --