[PC-BSD Testing] consistent System Settings

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 6 11:54:06 PDT 2010

Is it possible to have all the system settings be consistent when they startup?

As an example of inconsistency, when you start Firewall it shows a PC-BSD logo, prompts you to type in the administrative password, and then opens a second screen. When you start System Network Configuration, it opens in the same screen, allowing the user to use the Overview button to go back to System Settings. This is the behaviour for most of the System Settings, except for these PC-BSD specific ones:

- Firewall

- Password & User Account

- Services Manager

- Software & Updates

- System Manager

This probably ties in with the "how to handle su password input" discussion. Maybe if each of these icons had a "Configure" button on their screen which could cache the administrative password and activate the greyed out read-only settings, that would allow for seamless usage.

Or, since we're decoupling the dependence on KDE to allow for alternate window managers in 9 should we be thinking instead of creating a "Control Panel" which contains the configuration icons that are considered useful to users and that can be loaded in any window manager?

Cheers,

Dru