[PC-BSD Testing] Dialup Utility?

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Sep 6 11:06:55 PDT 2010

>In message: <BAY143-W717348E66E4F2819FA704AC700 at phx.gbl>
>             Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca> writes:
>:
>: > The hard part here is that the different modem families have different
>: > init strings.  The third line of the above is specific both to 3G
>: > modems (the AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP", part of the command) as well as
>: > specific to my country and carrier (the last bit:
>: > "internet2.voicestream.com").  Also, the phone number varies between
>: > carriers and technology used.  authname/authkey likely would also need
>: > to be configurable.
>: >
>: > When I setup my modem, the hardest part was finding line 3 above :)
>:
>:
>: How is the finding usually done? e.g. does the provider or the modem
>: manufacturer usually include this  info in their documentation or is
>: the user required to try their  luck with Google? Adding how to find
>: the required  info to this screen's  help button would  be useful. I
>: notice some bugs in this screan  and will start a separate thread on
>: those.
>
>For me, it was trial and error.  There wasn't a table anywhere of
>these things (I think called VAPs or something similar).  But I think
>if we have the right terminology, we may save people lots of
>Googling.  I could help out with some of that, at least for the
>current generation of 3G cards.  Likely we'll need something different
>with the 4G stuff, but we won't know that until we get the gear.

There is a growing trend with 3G (and 4G) being an Internet option
for folks in areas where this might be their only service (bundled or
sole) or they access to the Internet either via tethering or via one
of the USB stations that amplify the 3G /  4G signal. I think this is
what places like Cricket and Clear are doing right now. AT&T has
something like it think too. I don't regard it as a blip on the radar
as Clear and Cricket have a HUGE presence here in Chicago and a lot
of other big cities. Perhaps when Wi-Max or Wi-Max 2 become more
prevalent, you'll see more industry support behind it but it might be
good to be ahead of the curve or at least proactive with any
solutions that are out there. Just food for though.

Arthur