[PC-BSD Testing] Dialup Utility?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Sep 6 09:45:31 PDT 2010

In message: <BAY143-W717348E66E4F2819FA704AC700 at phx.gbl>
            Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca> writes:
:
: > The hard part here is that the different modem families have different
: > init strings.  The third line of the above is specific both to 3G
: > modems (the AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP", part of the command) as well as
: > specific to my country and carrier (the last bit:
: > "internet2.voicestream.com").  Also, the phone number varies between
: > carriers and technology used.  authname/authkey likely would also need
: > to be configurable.
: >
: > When I setup my modem, the hardest part was finding line 3 above :)
:
:
: How is the finding usually done? e.g. does the provider or the modem
: manufacturer usually include this  info in their documentation or is
: the user required to try their  luck with Google? Adding how to find
: the required  info to this screen's  help button would  be useful. I
: notice some bugs in this screan  and will start a separate thread on
: those.

For me, it was trial and error.  There wasn't a table anywhere of
these things (I think called VAPs or something similar).  But I think
if we have the right terminology, we may save people lots of
Googling.  I could help out with some of that, at least for the
current generation of 3G cards.  Likely we'll need something different
with the 4G stuff, but we won't know that until we get the gear.

Warner