[PC-BSD Testing] Dialup Utility?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Sep 6 07:13:22 PDT 2010

In message: <4C84F177.5020406 at pcbsd.org>
            Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> writes:
:
: On 09/06/2010 09:44, Dru Lavigne wrote:
: >
: >
: >> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=12829
: >>
: >> I honestly think people should try and port NetworkManger to FreeBSD
: >> ... it would be very beneficial for all.
: >
: >
: > It looks like adding http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/usb-modeswitch-1.1.1.tar.bz2 and http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/usb_modeswitch.setup to the base system would be useful for 3G users.

I get file not found when I try to fetch these things...

: > Kris, are there any plans to add more options to the PPP/PPPoE section of Systems Network Configuration for 9.0? We could get people from the forums to test additions to see if it helps them in their modem setup process.
: >
: > Cheers,
: >
: > Dru
: >
:
: I could probably add those features to the GUI, I just will need some
: specifics on what features to add, since I don't have a USB / tethering
: modem to test with.

I have a 3G modem here I could test out.

: If you or others can give me the values configuration options you need
: in the GUI, and where they need to be saved on the system, I can add
: them pretty easily.
:
: Also, that usbmodeswitch stuff, is that a port, or will it become a port
: at some point?

And is it really needed for FreeBSD 8?  I used to have to do crazy
things with my 3G modem since it appeared to the system as a CD ROM,
but hps fixed that in the 8.x and newer USB stack, so now it just
works on my stock FreeBSD system.  Since I can't look at usbswitcher,
it is hard to know which problem it is solving (although the thread
strongly suggests it is needed only for 7.x and earlier).  One bug I
am aware of here is that if you kldload u3g after you insert the u3g
stick it won't properly attach (this may have been fixed, but wasn't
the last time I tried it, back in Februrary).

It would be nice to be able to switch between different sources for
networking.  We'd likely have to write ppp.conf files like this one:

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 set timeout 180                        # 3 minute idle timer (the default)
 enable dns                             # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

tmobile:
 set phone "*99#"
 set line /dev/cuaU0.0
 set speed 460800
 set authname web
 set authkey web
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
  \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2+FCLASS=0 OK \
  AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet2.voicestream.com\\\" OK \\dATDT\\T \
  TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route
 disable ipv6cp
 disable mppe
 disable vjcomp
 disable acfcomp
 disable deflate
 disable pred1
 disable protocomp
 disable lqr
 set ifaddr 10.11.12.1/0 10.11.12.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0

The hard part here is that the different modem families have different
init strings.  The third line of the above is specific both to 3G
modems (the AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP", part of the command) as well as
specific to my country and carrier (the last bit:
"internet2.voicestream.com").  Also, the phone number varies between
carriers and technology used.  authname/authkey likely would also need
to be configurable.

When I setup my modem, the hardest part was finding line 3 above :)
In contrast, my old sprint modem was even easier:

sprint:
 set phone \#777
 set line /dev/cuaU0
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK \\dATD\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route

No magic needed, really....

Warner