[PC-BSD Testing] Dialup Utility?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Sep 6 07:13:22 PDT 2010

In message: <4C84F177.5020406 at pcbsd.org>
            Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> writes:
: On 09/06/2010 09:44, Dru Lavigne wrote:
: >
: >
: >> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=12829
: >>
: >> I honestly think people should try and port NetworkManger to FreeBSD
: >> ... it would be very beneficial for all.
: >
: >
: > It looks like adding http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/usb-modeswitch-1.1.1.tar.bz2 and http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/usb_modeswitch.setup to the base system would be useful for 3G users.

I get file not found when I try to fetch these things...

: > Kris, are there any plans to add more options to the PPP/PPPoE section of Systems Network Configuration for 9.0? We could get people from the forums to test additions to see if it helps them in their modem setup process.
: >
: > Cheers,
: >
: > Dru
: >
: I could probably add those features to the GUI, I just will need some
: specifics on what features to add, since I don't have a USB / tethering
: modem to test with.

I have a 3G modem here I could test out.

: If you or others can give me the values configuration options you need
: in the GUI, and where they need to be saved on the system, I can add
: them pretty easily.
: Also, that usbmodeswitch stuff, is that a port, or will it become a port
: at some point?

And is it really needed for FreeBSD 8?  I used to have to do crazy
things with my 3G modem since it appeared to the system as a CD ROM,
but hps fixed that in the 8.x and newer USB stack, so now it just
works on my stock FreeBSD system.  Since I can't look at usbswitcher,
it is hard to know which problem it is solving (although the thread
strongly suggests it is needed only for 7.x and earlier).  One bug I
am aware of here is that if you kldload u3g after you insert the u3g
stick it won't properly attach (this may have been fixed, but wasn't
the last time I tried it, back in Februrary).

It would be nice to be able to switch between different sources for
networking.  We'd likely have to write ppp.conf files like this one:

 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 set timeout 180                        # 3 minute idle timer (the default)
 enable dns                             # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

 set phone "*99#"
 set line /dev/cuaU0.0
 set speed 460800
 set authname web
 set authkey web
  \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2+FCLASS=0 OK \
  AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet2.voicestream.com\\\" OK \\dATDT\\T \
 add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route
 disable ipv6cp
 disable mppe
 disable vjcomp
 disable acfcomp
 disable deflate
 disable pred1
 disable protocomp
 disable lqr
 set ifaddr

The hard part here is that the different modem families have different
init strings.  The third line of the above is specific both to 3G
modems (the AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP", part of the command) as well as
specific to my country and carrier (the last bit:
"internet2.voicestream.com").  Also, the phone number varies between
carriers and technology used.  authname/authkey likely would also need
to be configurable.

When I setup my modem, the hardest part was finding line 3 above :)
In contrast, my old sprint modem was even easier:

 set phone \#777
 set line /dev/cuaU0
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK \\dATD\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route

No magic needed, really....