[PC-BSD Testing] Dialup Utility?

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Sep 1 07:11:31 PDT 2010

On 09/01/2010 9:07 AM, Kris Moore wrote:

> On 08/31/2010 12:09, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
>> DISCLAIMER: Assume I am a complete newbie to FreeBSD/PC-BSD.
>>
>> On my 8.1, I took a cursory look to see if I can find a graphical utility to
>> enable me use a 3G/EvDO USB modem.
>> Never mind that I did not even plugin the Huawei modem, but I intend to
>> soon.
>> Is there such a thing available?
>>
>> I am asking this way because the usage of 3G/3G+/EvDO USB modems has grown
>> so much and I feel any attempts to tell young folks to use *BSD (not Linux)
>> depends on such utilities/abilities built into the OS. PC-BSD being so much
>> geared towards the Desktop should have something.
>>
>> My thoughts.
>>

> I've never really played with this, so I'm not sure of the status of
> GUI's for 3g/usb modem setup. I would imagine there isn't a one yet,
> since this is probably something specific to BSD, and a straight port of
> a linux GUI may not be feasible.
>
> Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Kris,

It might be my early onset but if I remember right I *think* there was
something being worked on for KDE in some future version. I remember
reading about it years ago so I don't know if it ever reached fruition.
KPPP is the only thing close to a modem dialer that I could find:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kppp

Arthur