[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.1 i18n issue

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 15:50:30 PDT 2010

Hi Kris -

When fresh installing PCBSD from scratch, the PCBSD installer lets you
choose the interface language. That's what I changed. By default it is
English but by changing it to other languages the installer interface
is supposed to change to appropriate language.

Switching it to Japanese rendered a whole Japanese interface through
the installer as well as the whole PCBSD environment (desktop, KDE
interface etc), whereas choosing some languages e.g. Chinese resulted
in English interface through the installation, just as if Chinese
language was not supported.

Interestingly (but oddly), I noticed that going into KDE and changing
the language post-installation could confuse PCBSD if in the installer
I had chosen language other than English. I ended up with a PCBSD
desktop in which Japanese and Chinese messages coexist at the same
time! (I should have taken a snapshot...)

Yet other languages e.g. Italian and Punjabi resulted in a whole blank
interface or that filled with "squares"; that is, no text at all in
the installer and I had to switch back to English so as to go any
further in the installer (and I had to try several times to guess
which "blank" pulldown option is English).

My environment: PCBSD 8.1 i386.

Regards,
Sam