[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.1 - nVidia GeForce 5 - Xorg server timeout, terminating

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 06:04:06 PDT 2010

I had to restart my computer after 70 days because I installed the
VirtualBox upgrade.  On restart, the computer froze and reported "Xorg
server timeout, terminating"

I found I could use startx and load TWM.   I could also re-configure the
video card with startup option 7 and get into KDE.  However, on reboot, the
same X server startup timeout, terminating message occurs. The solution may
lie in the newest nVidia driver release for this card (nVidia GeForce 5 FX
series).  The Release Highlights for this driver (173.14.27 released Aug. 4,
2010) state:

* Added support for X.Org xserver 1.8.
* Fixed a bug that could cause X.Org xserver >= 1.7 to hang when restarted.

PCBSD 8.1 uses Xorg server version 1.7.5, so the timeout and termination
might be solved by updating the driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd-display-173.14.27-driver.html

Ian Robinson
Salem,  Ohio