[PC-BSD Testing] ZFS pools and the installer

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Nov 16 10:52:34 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:26:42AM -0700, Jack Downes wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to PC BSD.  have worked with OpenSolaris and FreeBSD.  My problem:
>
> First off I'm using the PC BSD 8.1 installer.
>
> I've booted the PC with the dvd, zfs/osol kernel modules did load.  There are 3 drives in this box.  I've destroyed all the partitions on them, installed the GPT labels, and put in a freebsd-boot, freebsd-swap, and freebsd-zfs slice in each.  Using the 3 freebsd-zfs slices, I've created a single raidz called "rpool".
>
> Reboot the PC again.
>
> PC-BSD boots up, appears to recognize everything.  In the X client, I can use an xterm and get information via zpool list and zfs list which make sense according to my setup.
>
> However, the Disk Setup portion of SysInstaller doesn't appear to see this rpool.  What it sees are the three slices on each of the drives, and seemingly won't let me setup a zpool using existing partitions.  now, i've tried to just use the gui for this, but it is not particularly helpful, and i cannot get it to let me make an rpool.
>
> So, now my question:
>
> is this being worked on in the Testing Version?  Can I try it out?
>

> thanks,
>
> Jack Downes
> Health Information Technology, KRMC

At the moment the GUI portion of the installer is going to expect you to provide the raidz configuration you want from within it.

For example, you would go to "custom partition", and from there create a new ZFS partition on ad0, at the bottom of the GUI, you'll be able to select your additional devices, such as ada1, ada2 for inclusion into the "raidz" pool. That should get you to an install similar to what you described.

For 9 I have it on my list to improve the installer to more easily work with pre-existing partitioning, but its not in the current snapshot yet :)