[PC-BSD Testing] 9 alpha bootonly install failure

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Nov 10 07:55:46 PST 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 03:14:52PM +0000, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:47:22 -0400
> Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > So is this just as simple as changing the start sector to 4096? How
> > about non-4k disks, does this effect them at all? Is there any other
> > 4k magic thats required to get this right?
> >

> Unfortunately it's not so simple because gpart apparently requires that
> the start sector for the MBR scheme be divisable by 63. 258048 should
> work I think. It won't affect non-4k disks - Windows has been using an
> offset of around 1MB since Vista
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd758814%28SQL.100%29.aspx).
>
> --
> Bruce Cran

So, for the moment the fix should be switching our "gpart -b 258048" to get a proper
starting block?

This shouldn't cause any issues if we are using GPT/MBR for the scheme right? I don't have
my hands on one of these disks, so I'll have to rely on others to ensure it works right. I can
fix my patch in gnats to use that offset if that seems to be the "correct" solution :)