[PC-BSD Testing] 9 alpha bootonly install failure

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Nov 5 09:19:55 PDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 03:14:52PM +0000, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:47:22 -0400
> Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at the saved pc-sysinstall.log here, and no rootPassword=
> > line is present... Is this the debug log by any chance, or are you
> > grabbing this from /tmp/.pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall.log on the
> > install image?
>
> The installation program told me the log had been saved
> to /tmp/pc-sysinstall.log, and showed the contents of that file. It
> contains a copy of the configuration:

Ok, that helps :) I'll get that fixes so that the passwords get redacted.

> [...]
> umount: /mnt/usr: not a file system root directory
> Running: umount -f /mnt
> Running: umount /cdmnt-install
> umount: /cdmnt-install: statfs: No such file or directory
> umount: /cdmnt-install: unknown file system
> Trying DHCP on em0  <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Legacy Network Connection 1.0.2>
>
> # PC-SYSINSTALL CFG
> # Auto-Generated pc-sysinstall configuration
> installInteractive=no
> installMode=fresh
> installType=PCBSD
> packageType=tar
>
> installMedium=ftp
> ftpPath=ftp://mirrors.isc.org/pub/pcbsd/9-CURRENT-20101030/i386
>
> [...]
>
> # Root Password
> rootPass=arootpassword
>
> > So is this just as simple as changing the start sector to 4096? How
> > about non-4k disks, does this effect them at all? Is there any other
> > 4k magic thats required to get this right?
> >

> Unfortunately it's not so simple because gpart apparently requires that
> the start sector for the MBR scheme be divisable by 63. 258048 should
> work I think. It won't affect non-4k disks - Windows has been using an
> offset of around 1MB since Vista
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd758814%28SQL.100%29.aspx).

Just talked to pjd@ and a few others here at MeetBSD, and the consensus was that
thinking was that we can just change our startblock to "64" and that'll take care
of it fixing the alignment. I'll try to get a patch into pc-sysinstall soon to correct
that.