[PC-BSD Testing] 9 alpha bootonly install failure

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Fri Nov 5 08:14:52 PDT 2010

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:47:22 -0400
Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> I'm looking at the saved pc-sysinstall.log here, and no rootPassword=
> line is present... Is this the debug log by any chance, or are you
> grabbing this from /tmp/.pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall.log on the
> install image?

The installation program told me the log had been saved
to /tmp/pc-sysinstall.log, and showed the contents of that file. It
contains a copy of the configuration:

umount: /mnt/usr: not a file system root directory
Running: umount -f /mnt
Running: umount /cdmnt-install
umount: /cdmnt-install: statfs: No such file or directory
umount: /cdmnt-install: unknown file system
Trying DHCP on em0  <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Legacy Network Connection 1.0.2>

# Auto-Generated pc-sysinstall configuration

# Root Password

> So is this just as simple as changing the start sector to 4096? How
> about non-4k disks, does this effect them at all? Is there any other
> 4k magic thats required to get this right?

Unfortunately it's not so simple because gpart apparently requires that
the start sector for the MBR scheme be divisable by 63. 258048 should
work I think. It won't affect non-4k disks - Windows has been using an
offset of around 1MB since Vista

Bruce Cran