[PC-BSD Testing] 9 alpha bootonly install failure

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Nov 5 07:47:22 PDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 10:08:58AM +0000, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On 5 November 2010 05:21, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > I've seen that as well, and I'm thinking its a problem in "gpart". We are running all the gpart destroy stuff, but its not clearing out that backup GPT entry still. I'll have to poke around, see if thats something that will be fixed in gpart soon, or if I need to implement some other "cleaning" mechanism.
>
> I thought the 'dd' commands were being run by the installer, not gpart?

Yes, I had a few "dd" blanking commands in there from before switching to
gpart, supposed I'll add them to blank the end of the disk as well here soon
:)

> > Where are you seeing that?? The log specifically doesn't show a password here...
>
> The configuration gets logged to pc-sysinstall.log. It contains a
> rootPassword line.

I'm looking at the saved pc-sysinstall.log here, and no rootPassword= line
is present... Is this the debug log by any chance, or are you grabbing
this from /tmp/.pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall.log on the install image?

The only place the password should be present is in /tmp/sys-install.cfg,
which is the install config, and where it should be.

> >> - It might be nice to use the ATA_CAM option or the ahci driver by
> >> default since it looks like it's the future.
> >
> > Those are already on by default:
>
> ahci is there but not ATA_CAM: otherwise the devices would be ada0
> instead of ad0.

Gotcha, fixed this in SVN just now.

http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/7982

> > You're referring to 4k sector size? I thought gpart was supposed to optimize for that automatically? I thought I read that a while back, but if I'm wrong we can fix it easily enough.
>
> The start sector is being specified as 63, which will result in
> unaligned accesses.

So is this just as simple as changing the start sector to 4096? How about
non-4k disks, does this effect them at all? Is there any other 4k magic
thats required to get this right?