[PC-BSD Testing] 9 alpha bootonly install failure

Bruce Cran bruce.cran at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 03:08:58 PDT 2010

On 5 November 2010 05:21, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> I've seen that as well, and I'm thinking its a problem in "gpart". We are running all the gpart destroy stuff, but its not clearing out that backup GPT entry still. I'll have to poke around, see if thats something that will be fixed in gpart soon, or if I need to implement some other "cleaning" mechanism.

I thought the 'dd' commands were being run by the installer, not gpart?

> Where are you seeing that?? The log specifically doesn't show a password here...

The configuration gets logged to pc-sysinstall.log. It contains a
rootPassword line.

>> - It might be nice to use the ATA_CAM option or the ahci driver by
>> default since it looks like it's the future.
>
> Those are already on by default:

ahci is there but not ATA_CAM: otherwise the devices would be ada0
instead of ad0.

> You're referring to 4k sector size? I thought gpart was supposed to optimize for that automatically? I thought I read that a while back, but if I'm wrong we can fix it easily enough.

The start sector is being specified as 63, which will result in
unaligned accesses.

> At what point is it crashing, and is it repeatable?
>
> If you start the install, then immediately switch to ctrl-alt-f1, you'll probably see a kernel panic at the point it freezes. What kind of panic is it getting?

Turns out VMWare defaults to 256MB RAM which isn't enough to start the
installer - Xorg was being killed when the system ran out of memory.
Bumping the memory to 2500MB fixed the problem.

--
Bruce Cran