[PC-BSD Testing] Universal USB Installer 1.5.7

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Mon May 24 12:27:50 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu> wrote:

> On 05/24/2010 12:22 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
>
>> On 05/24/2010 12:15, Arthur Koziol wrote:
>>
>>> Man, I was just playing around with this utility to have a KUbuntu 10.04
>>> distro on a spare 2GB USB drive for emergency purposes. Although this is
>>> geared towards Linux, it would be kick @$$ to have a util like this work for
>>> PCBSD too. Do you guys know if one like this exists already? I know of
>>> pretty much all the USB installers out there and none comes to mind I know
>>> of.
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>

>> You mean that the USB image has a "live" system on it, right? Our USB full
>> image already does, you just select "live" mode from the boot-screen,
>> same as you do on the DVD :)
>>
>>  Kris,
>
> Argh, I should read my emails twice before I send them. I'm aware of the
> USB image but I was curious about a utility that automates dropping the ISO
> or what have you on a vanilla USB drive and making it able to run live. UBI
> rejiggers things for the user so there's no fiddling around with manually
> renaming isolinux to syslinux or what have you. I've never tried the USB
> live image for PCBSD but now I'm going to run off and figure out how to do
> it. Thanks.
>

> Arthur

I use the USB image, but I agree that it's nowhere near as polished a
process. That's pretty true for BSD installs in general. PC-BSD is the only
one with anything even approaching, say, the Ubuntu 10.04 install.

As a note - it's usually easier these days to use the ISO, since most VMs
and such can just mount it directly.

The lack of easy partition management is the biggest thorn though (but
that's off topic ;) ).

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee