[PC-BSD Testing] [SPAM] Re: Network problem

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 17:02:43 PDT 2010

Well after a lot of hair pulling I think I've found the culprit and it had nothing to do with FreeBSD.

Seems my router's WiFi just decides to stop working every once in a while.  It's happened to every Linksys router I've ever owned.  After about a year or so, the WiFi slowly craps out until it just dies one day - I have a junk pile full of them.  This time I thought buying their so-called commercial grade version would make a difference - nope.  It's WRV210 with a wireless bridge, WET200 connecting my PCBSD box to the router.

When the WiFi link quits, that's when access to the router from my browser in the same box gets slow, though I'm not sure why.  As for Drupal not being able to connect to the web, I can't say except that it seems to have been fixed since I changed the nameserver value to the router gateway.

So I have to reboot the router, or cycle power on the bridge when this happens, to reconnect the Wifi.  For the record, I haven't had much better luck with Netgear.  I have used Dlink once or twice with better results.

Doesn't anyone make a wireless router for less than $100 that will last five years?