[PC-BSD Testing] Trouble with ZFS zpool creation

Bill Sun billksun at gmail.com
Mon May 17 09:20:51 PDT 2010

I'm getting an error creating zpool when trying to install from
PCBSD8-STABLE-20100420-x64-DVD.iso:

cannot create 'tank0': one or more devices is currently unavailable
Error1: zpool create -m none -f tank0 raidz ad10p2 ad8

ad10 and ad8 are identical Hitachi 750 GB SATA drives.  In the installer I
selected ad10 as the install destination and add a 10 GB SWAP partition and
then used the rest as ZFS. Under the ZFS dialog, I have selected raidz and
added ad8 to the pool, and added "/" mount point.  ad8 should be
unpartitioned (though it used to have a Kubuntu installation on it), does it
need to be partitioned?  Can I do this via the installer (i.e., by select
ad8 as the new installation destination, setup partition, then switch back
to ad10)?

Of note, BSD is an entirely new world to me, and I have zero experience in
setting up ZFS.  I'm currently trying to convert my Kubuntu box into a
PC-BSD one.

-Bill