[PC-BSD Testing] Can't format HD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon May 10 18:34:27 PDT 2010

On 05/09/2010 19:21, Jeff wrote:
> I added a 2nd HD to my system for a GIT repository but I can't format it.
>
> I go through the usual steps in sysinstall and at the very end after
> creating the partitions in the label editor, I go to write the data
> and it barfs saying "device busy".  I had made sure it was unmounted
> and even closed Dolphin.  Is there something obvious I'm overlooking?
> Never had this problem before.
>
> ...Jeff

Odd, do you have the proper device names created? I.E. /dev/ad1s1a? If
so you should be able to use "newfs" manually to create your UFS
formatted partition. Also, if you are using 64bit, maybe take a look at
"zfs/zpool" comands, thats what I'm using for my home server, works
great, plus mirroring is a cinch!