[PC-BSD Testing] Printer won't work

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri May 7 04:32:04 PDT 2010

On 05/06/2010 22:34, Brodey Dover wrote:
> Although "other" shouldn't need r and w from what I remember, 666 is
> the recommended user-level access for device in FreeBSD. Want to see
> if adding that w in other helps things along?
>
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Jeff <dejamuse at yahoo.com
> <mailto:dejamuse at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     I forgot to mention I had changed the perms to crw-rw-r-- but it
>     just does nothing and CUPS reports the job is pending.  The file
>     /dev/ulpt0 BTW, is empty.
>
>     Printer works fine on Windoze.
>
>     CUPS error log didn't show anything egregious.
>
>     CUPS reports printer status: Paused - "Finished page 2..."
>

>     --- On *Thu, 5/6/10, Kris Moore /<kris at pcbsd.org
>     <mailto:kris at pcbsd.org>>/* wrote:
>

>         From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org <mailto:kris at pcbsd.org>>
>         Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Printer won't work
>         To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org <mailto:testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>         Date: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 4:33 AM
>

>         On 05/06/2010 10:19, Jeff wrote:
>>         I had a Canon i550 working fine in PCBSD 7.1 but it fails to
>>         work in 8.0.
>>
>>         Used the CUPS facility to find this USB printer but it didn't
>>         find it.  Manually installed it using the BJC-8200 Gutenprint
>>         driver I've used before.
>>
>>         Then trying to print via OO resulted in CUPS reporting a
>>         permission error: "Unable to open device file: /dev/ulpt0
>>         Permission denied":
>>
>>         Permissions are: crw-r--r--.  What does the 'c' mean? User is
>>         'root', group is 'operator'.
>>
>>         Tried using the PCBSD printer facility and got nowhere. Can't
>>         print test page either.
>>
>>         Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
>>
>>         ...Jeff

>         The "c" means character device. You can try running "chmod
>         666" /dev/utlp0, and check the perms again, should be writable
>         now.
>
>         If that works, we'll need to check /etc/devfs.rules, utlp0 is
>         already supposed to be setperm "666", but it may be failing :(
>
>         --
>         Kris Moore
>         PC-BSD Software
>         iXsystems
>

>         -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Yes, please set to all to writable on this device and give it another
whirl.

If it still fails, you may want to enable debugging output for cups, so
you can see if there is anything else possibly going on. To do so, edit
/usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf and change "LogLevel info" to "LogLevel
debug", then restart cups.