[PC-BSD Testing] 1TB external usb drive shows smaller size in Dolphin

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri May 7 04:29:21 PDT 2010

On 05/06/2010 15:20, Jeff wrote:
> Using PCBSD-8.0 - 64bit Dolphin mounts my Western Digital 1TB USB
> drive ok but reports this for disk usage with 2.4 GiB of files on it:
>
> 16,777,216.0 TiB free of 15.5 GiB (-2,147,483,548 % used)
>
> Total gibberish.  So I can't put more than a few GiB on this drive
> before it reports the disk is full.
>
> Konqueror reports the same krap.
>
> Kwikdisk reports this drive /dev/da0s1 as having a capacity of 1.9 GB
> and full.
> -----------------------
> Another drive I have was formatted for Windoze.  Way back in PCBSD 7
> or possibly earlier, I was able to read this drive and retrieve some
> old Windoze files.  I cannot mount this drive anymore using various
> combinations of: mount_msdosfs -o large /dev/da0s1 /media/Backup
>
> Or: mount -o large -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /media/Backup
>
> camcontrol devlist reports this drive as da0.
>
> Frustrating!

That is really odd. If you can't even mount it via CLI, then I would
guess that something has broken in the new USB stack causing this issue.
(Although it could be a msdosfs issue as well)

I would recommend filing a FreeBSD PR, so that the driver guys can take
a stab at fixing this:

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html