[PC-BSD Testing] Mounting USB Hard Drives

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Thu May 6 14:57:21 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Jeff wrote:
>
> Another drive I have was formatted for Windoze.? Way back in PCBSD 7 or
>> possibly earlier, I was able to read this drive and retrieve some old
>> Windoze files.? I cannot mount this drive anymore using various combinations
>> of: mount_msdosfs -o large /dev/da0s1 /media/Backup
>>
>> Or: mount -o large -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /media/Backup
>>
>> camcontrol devlist reports this drive as da0.
>>

> 1.  Sometimes a USB device will not mount with the /dev/da0s1 argument but
> will mount with /dev/da0
>
> 2.  The FreeBSD handbook (@
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/usb-disks.html  ) adds a
> couple of "extras" which may be worth reviewing:
>

> ======= Begin Quote from FreeBSD Handbook ================
>
> "To make this device mountable as a normal user, certain steps have to be
> taken. First, the devices that are created when a USB storage device is
> connected need to be accessible by the user. A solution is to make all users
> of these devices a member of the operator group. This is done with pw(8)<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pw&sektion=8>.
> Second, when the devices are created, the operator group should be able to
> read and write them. This is accomplished by adding these lines to
> /etc/devfs.rules:
>
> [localrules=5]
> add path 'da*' mode 0660 group operator
>
>  *Note:* If there already are SCSI disks in the system, it must be done a
> bit different. E.g., if the system already contains disks da0 through da2attached to the system, change the second line as follows:
>
> add path 'da[3-9]*' mode 0660 group operator
>
> This will exclude the already existing disks from belonging to the
> operator group.
>
>  You also have to enable your devfs.rules(5)<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=devfs.rules&sektion=5>ruleset in your
> /etc/rc.conf file:
>
> devfs_system_ruleset="localrules"
>
> Next, the kernel has to be configured to allow regular users to mount file
> systems. The easiest way is to add the following line to /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> vfs.usermount=1
>
> Note that this only takes effect after the next reboot. Alternatively, one
> can also use sysctl(8)<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=sysctl&sektion=8>to set this variable.
>
> The final step is to create a directory where the file system is to be
> mounted. This directory needs to be owned by the user that is to mount the
> file system. One way to do that is for root to create a subdirectory owned
> by that user as /mnt/*username* (replace *username* by the login name of
> the actual user and *usergroup* by the user's primary group):
>
> # mkdir /mnt/*username*
> # chown *username*:*usergroup* /mnt/*username*"
>
> ======= End Quote from FreeBSD Handbook ================
>

> 3.  The last three Western Digital external USB drives I bought with 500 Gb
> and larger came formatted NTFS.  Are yours formatted Fat32 or NTFS?

> [...]
I've had major issues with NTFS USB drives on the new PC-BSD 8 images -
especially the higher capacity ones. It's almost critical to make sure you
plug them in once you're logged in - I haven't gotten one to work yet if it
was plugged in prior to booting.
Also worth noting is that the new extFAT that some of the new thumbdrives
come with is nearly impossible to get working (I found it's far easier to
just reformat them).

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee