[PC-BSD Testing] Printer won't work

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 03:19:16 PDT 2010

I had a Canon i550 working fine in PCBSD 7.1 but it fails to work in 8.0.

Used the CUPS facility to find this USB printer but it didn't find it.  Manually installed it using the BJC-8200 Gutenprint driver I've used before.

Then trying to print via OO resulted in CUPS reporting a permission error: "Unable to open device file: /dev/ulpt0 Permission denied":

Permissions are: crw-r--r--.  What does the 'c' mean? User is 'root', group is 'operator'.

Tried using the PCBSD printer facility and got nowhere. Can't print test page either.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

...Jeff