[PC-BSD Testing] noise coming from speakers at boot time (cause by TV card!)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Mar 31 05:31:37 PDT 2010

On 03/31/2010 01:59, Normand Fisher wrote:

>> On this pc, there is 3 sound cards :
>> An on-board VIA Realtech ALC660
>> a Creative ES1371 (the on normally used in windows (and Linux
>> previously)) which is the selected one.
>> the Philips TV7131.
>>
>> Short of removing the Philips card (I eventually would like to get it
>> working with BSD), is there a way to deactivate it?
>>
>> As for regular sound, I tried opening up Kmixer and after flashing the
>> icon for a few seconds, it simply disappears.
>>
>> All the time I spend on this problem is giving me a chance to explore
>> PC-BSD and I like what I see.  Hopefully I'll be able to hear it
>> as well.
>>
>> Attached is the diagnostic report.
>>
>> Normand
>>

> Oops! I forgot to change the message title.
>
> Done.
> Normand

pcm0:<HDA Analog Devices AD1986A PCM #0 Analog>  at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm1:<HDA Analog Devices AD1986A PCM #1 Digital>  at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm2:<Creative CT5880-A>  port 0xe800-0xe83f irq 16 at device 8.0 on pci5
pcm2:<SigmaTel STAC9708/11 AC97 Codec>
pcm2: [ITHREAD]
pcm2:<Playback: DAC1,DAC2 / Record: ADC>
pcm0: chn_write(): pcm0:virtual:dsp0.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
pcm0: chn_write(): pcm0:virtual:dsp0.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
pcm0: chn_write(): pcm0:virtual:dsp0.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

If I'm reading the above correctly, it looks like you need to default to
pcm2, which is your AC97 device.

Try add the following line to /etc/sysctl.conf:

/hw.snd.default/*_*/unit/=2

After you reboot, does it start playing sound properly now?