[PC-BSD Testing] kioslave for file ???

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Tue Mar 30 11:25:30 PDT 2010

On 3/30/10 9:30 AM +0000, Kris Moore wrote on Re: [PC-BSD
Testing] kioslave for file ???

>On 03/30/2010 06:47, Walt Pawley wrote:
>> Working with PC-BSD 7.1. Something has changed and I've been
>> trying to find it for a couple of days, on and off as time has
>> allowed. Mostly, I've managed to gain a thumping headache
>> pawing through mounds of documentation, etc. Hera are some of
>> the symptoms:
>>
>> Starting File Manager (Dolphin): URL cannot be listed file:///home/wump
>>
>> Clicking OK gets:  URL cannot be listed file:///usr/home/wump
>>
>> Dolphin does come up, but the file content is empty. Clicking
>> the Root icon produces the error  URL cannot be listed file:///
>>
>> Clicking Network results in  URL cannot be listed remote:/
>>
>> Clicking Trash results in  URL cannot be listed trash:/
>>
>> Firing up File Manager (Administrator) results in: Could not
>> start process. Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said:
>> Unknown protocol 'file'.
>>
>> Other applications also fail attempting to use the file:
>> protocol to access files though I'm not certain it's
>> ubiquitous. Curiously, as of the last time I tested it, which
>> was after noting much of the above behavior, typing the
>> "file:///home/wump" into Firefox's location field resulted in a
>> listing of the files in my home directory. I suspect that
>> Firefox is not attempting to use KDE's libkio for this activity.
>>
>> I get the feeling this not a big job to fix ... IF one knows
>> what to tweak. Anyone care to allay my ignorance?
>>

>So at this point it sounds like dolphin isn't working at all, correct?
>How about if you open a xterm / konsole, and run "tail -f
>.xsession-errors" while trying to use dolphin. Any interesting messages
>going by on the failure?

Yup, Dolphin pretty much can't locate anything. I hope this is
sufficiently interesting:

~$ tail -f .xsession-errors
"
SystemUpdater(1960): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'http'.
"
SystemUpdater(1960): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'http'.
"
SystemUpdater(1960): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'http'.
"
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/local/kde4/bin/dolphin
dolphin(85597) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding: Cannot resolve
system encoding, defaulting to ISO 8859-1.
[/usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub] (ServerCore) new socket connection.
Object::connect: No such signal DolphinView::redirection(KUrl,KUrl)
Object::connect: No such signal DolphinView::redirection(KUrl,KUrl)
dolphin(85597)/kdecore (trader)
KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader:
serviceType  "ThumbCreator"  not found

--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company