[PC-BSD Testing] noise coming from speakers at boot time

Normand Fisher fishern at ncf.ca
Tue Mar 30 10:07:17 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:17 am
Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] noise coming from speakers at boot time

> On 03/30/2010 02:22, Normand Fisher wrote:
> > I have one bizarre issue.
> >
> > At boot time, when loading the sound module, there is a loud hissing
> > sound coming out of the speakers. This sound (white noise!) never
> goes> away even after all the programs are loaded.
> >
> > Everything else seems to work fine except for that noise. Obviously
> > there is no sound application that works.  The same pc does not
> behave> like that with windows or Linux Ubuntu, only withPC-BSD.
> Searching the
> > net, the faq's and the forums has not return any hints.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > normand

> What type of sound-card / modules are being used? Can you send over
> diagnostic sheet?
>
> System Settings -> System Manager -> Generate Diagnostic
>

> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems

Thanks for the reply.  I've finally found the source of the sound.  It
is the Philips TV card that seems to be tuned to a non-
That being said, I still have noise but no sound.

On this pc, there is 3 sound cards :
An on-board VIA Realtech ALC660
a Creative ES1371 (the on normally used in windows (and Linux
previously)) which is the selected one.
the Philips TV7131.

Short of removing the Philips card (I eventually would like to get it
working with BSD), is there a way to deactivate it?

As for regular sound, I tried opening up Kmixer and after flashing the
icon for a few seconds, it simply disappears.

All the time I spend on this problem is giving me a chance to explore
PC-BSD and I like what I see.  Hopefully I'll be able to hear it
as well.

Attached is the diagnostic report.

Normand