[PC-BSD Testing] kioslave for file ???

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Mon Mar 29 23:47:49 PDT 2010

Working with PC-BSD 7.1. Something has changed and I've been
trying to find it for a couple of days, on and off as time has
allowed. Mostly, I've managed to gain a thumping headache
pawing through mounds of documentation, etc. Hera are some of
the symptoms:

Starting File Manager (Dolphin): URL cannot be listed file:///home/wump

Clicking OK gets:  URL cannot be listed file:///usr/home/wump

Dolphin does come up, but the file content is empty. Clicking
the Root icon produces the error  URL cannot be listed file:///

Clicking Network results in  URL cannot be listed remote:/

Clicking Trash results in  URL cannot be listed trash:/

Firing up File Manager (Administrator) results in: Could not
start process. Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said:
Unknown protocol 'file'.

Other applications also fail attempting to use the file:
protocol to access files though I'm not certain it's
ubiquitous. Curiously, as of the last time I tested it, which
was after noting much of the above behavior, typing the
"file:///home/wump" into Firefox's location field resulted in a
listing of the files in my home directory. I suspect that
Firefox is not attempting to use KDE's libkio for this activity.

I get the feeling this not a big job to fix ... IF one knows
what to tweak. Anyone care to allay my ignorance?
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company