[PC-BSD Testing] USB Hard Drive Issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Mar 29 03:55:43 PDT 2010

On 03/29/2010 14:51, Mike Bybee wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com
> <mailto:fitchkendall at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM, <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org
>     <mailto:testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>
>         Every time I boot up, the media folder? has an additional
>         directory called disk, disk1, and so on - now up to 9.? None
>         of them is the USB drive.
>

>     It has been standard behavior that when you plug in a USB memory
>     stick, PCBSD creates a directory in /media to use as a mount
>     point.  The mount point remains after you disconnect the memory
>     stick.  Each time you plug in the same or another USB memory
>     stick, the mount point increments (disk, disk1, . . . disk9).  The
>     USB memory stick you plugged in will be mounted at the highest
>     number if you were to look at it in the "regular" Dolphin
>     directory tree.  Because the previous mount points (disk, disk1)
>     are passed over, they should be empty.  If you delete the mount
>     points, the increment sequence returns to disk, then disk1, etc.
>
>     It was also standard behavior that after you plugged in a USB
>     memory stick, camera, etc., you could see it in "Places" and you
>     could "right-click" on the device icon in "Places" and choose to
>     "Unmount <Device_Name>" to safely remove it.
>
>     Here are some observed variations:
>
>     PCBSD 7.0.1 Behavior:
>
>     For an additional -- but unmounted (not listed in /etc/fstab)
>     internal hard drive -- "Places" shows a drive icon.  Double
>     clicking on the drive icon mounts the drive to
>     /media/<new_mount_point_name>.   Right clicking on the drive icon
>     in "Places" and selecting "Unmount <Device_Name>, the drive is
>     unmounted and the /media/<new_mount_point_name> is removed from
>     the /media directory.
>
>     A USB hard disk (Seagate Free Agent 500 GB) formatted ntfs is not
>     auto-recognized.  You have to mount it manually.  An icon shows up
>     in "Places" after mounting.  You can right click and select
>     "Unmount FreeAgent" but I get an error message at the bottom of
>     the Dolphin window that says:
>
>     " . . . org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.NotMountedByHal:  Device
>     to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL."
>
>     If i '# umount /mnt/<mount_point>, then the device icon disappears
>     from "Places."
>

>     PCBSD 8.0 Behavior.
>
>     Jeff said:  "It used to show a UFS volume in the places section of
>     Dolphin, but now shows 4 USB drives and none of them represent the
>     content of the drive . . ."
>
>     My PCBSD 8.0 behaves in the opposite fashion -- but is equally
>     bizarre.  I get only one icon in "Places" but I get four new mount
>     points in /media.  But, before I got to that point, note that the
>     drive (Segate Free Agent 500 GB) did not auto-recognize.  I had to
>     mount it in terminal to a mount point I created (#mount_ntfs -o
>     large /dev/da2s1 /media/USB_HD).  Once that command was issued,
> [...]

Most of the drives not being detected issues sound like HAL bugs, but
I'm not sure how much effort should go into fixing it, since HAL is now
depreciated and will be replaced by DeviceKit here soon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeviceKit

Mike,

Your specific issue with a system reboot when copying sounds like a bug
in the USB stack though. I would report that via FreeBSDs PR system, or
directly on the USB mailing list, since thats something we need fixed on
our end :)