[PC-BSD Testing] USB Hard Drive Issues

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Mon Mar 29 07:51:10 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM, <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Every time I boot up, the media folder? has an additional directory called
>> disk, disk1, and so on - now up to 9.? None of them is the USB drive.
>>

> It has been standard behavior that when you plug in a USB memory stick,
> PCBSD creates a directory in /media to use as a mount point.  The mount
> point remains after you disconnect the memory stick.  Each time you plug in
> the same or another USB memory stick, the mount point increments (disk,
> disk1, . . . disk9).  The USB memory stick you plugged in will be mounted at
> the highest number if you were to look at it in the "regular" Dolphin
> directory tree.  Because the previous mount points (disk, disk1) are passed
> over, they should be empty.  If you delete the mount points, the increment
> sequence returns to disk, then disk1, etc.
>
> It was also standard behavior that after you plugged in a USB memory stick,
> camera, etc., you could see it in "Places" and you could "right-click" on
> the device icon in "Places" and choose to "Unmount <Device_Name>" to safely
> remove it.
>
> Here are some observed variations:
>
> PCBSD 7.0.1 Behavior:
>
> For an additional -- but unmounted (not listed in /etc/fstab) internal hard
> drive -- "Places" shows a drive icon.  Double clicking on the drive icon
> mounts the drive to /media/<new_mount_point_name>.   Right clicking on the
> drive icon in "Places" and selecting "Unmount <Device_Name>, the drive is
> unmounted and the /media/<new_mount_point_name> is removed from the /media
> directory.
>
> A USB hard disk (Seagate Free Agent 500 GB) formatted ntfs is not
> auto-recognized.  You have to mount it manually.  An icon shows up in
> "Places" after mounting.  You can right click and select "Unmount FreeAgent"
> but I get an error message at the bottom of the Dolphin window that says:
>
> " . . . org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.NotMountedByHal:  Device to
> unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL."
>
> If i '# umount /mnt/<mount_point>, then the device icon disappears from
> "Places."
>

> PCBSD 8.0 Behavior.
>
> Jeff said:  "It used to show a UFS volume in the places section of Dolphin,
> but now shows 4 USB drives and none of them represent the content of the
> drive . . ."
>
> My PCBSD 8.0 behaves in the opposite fashion -- but is equally bizarre.  I
> get only one icon in "Places" but I get four new mount points in /media.
> But, before I got to that point, note that the drive (Segate Free Agent 500
> GB) did not auto-recognize.  I had to mount it in terminal to a mount point
> I created (#mount_ntfs -o large /dev/da2s1 /media/USB_HD).  Once that
> command was issued, then the drive icon appeared in "Places" and four new
> mount points appeared under /media (FreeAgent Drive, FreeAgent Drive-1,
> [...]
I have a similar FreeAgent USB drive that I can't use at all with PC-BSD due
to behaviors like above. I get an added prize, however, in the form of the
machine rebooting itself if I try to copy anything to or from the drive.
Dmesg produces no errors beyond the USB notification.

Under Win 7 on the same machine, the drive operates fine.

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee