[PC-BSD Testing] USB Hard Drive Issues

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 07:24:40 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM, <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:

> Every time I boot up, the media folder? has an additional directory called
> disk, disk1, and so on - now up to 9.? None of them is the USB drive.

It has been standard behavior that when you plug in a USB memory stick,
PCBSD creates a directory in /media to use as a mount point.  The mount
point remains after you disconnect the memory stick.  Each time you plug in
the same or another USB memory stick, the mount point increments (disk,
disk1, . . . disk9).  The USB memory stick you plugged in will be mounted at
the highest number if you were to look at it in the "regular" Dolphin
directory tree.  Because the previous mount points (disk, disk1) are passed
over, they should be empty.  If you delete the mount points, the increment
sequence returns to disk, then disk1, etc.

It was also standard behavior that after you plugged in a USB memory stick,
camera, etc., you could see it in "Places" and you could "right-click" on
the device icon in "Places" and choose to "Unmount <Device_Name>" to safely
remove it.

Here are some observed variations:

PCBSD 7.0.1 Behavior:

For an additional -- but unmounted (not listed in /etc/fstab) internal hard
drive -- "Places" shows a drive icon.  Double clicking on the drive icon
mounts the drive to /media/<new_mount_point_name>.   Right clicking on the
drive icon in "Places" and selecting "Unmount <Device_Name>, the drive is
unmounted and the /media/<new_mount_point_name> is removed from the /media
directory.

A USB hard disk (Seagate Free Agent 500 GB) formatted ntfs is not
auto-recognized.  You have to mount it manually.  An icon shows up in
"Places" after mounting.  You can right click and select "Unmount FreeAgent"
but I get an error message at the bottom of the Dolphin window that says:

" . . . org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.NotMountedByHal:  Device to
unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL."

If i '# umount /mnt/<mount_point>, then the device icon disappears from
"Places."

PCBSD 8.0 Behavior.

Jeff said:  "It used to show a UFS volume in the places section of Dolphin,
but now shows 4 USB drives and none of them represent the content of the
drive . . ."

My PCBSD 8.0 behaves in the opposite fashion -- but is equally bizarre.  I
get only one icon in "Places" but I get four new mount points in /media.
But, before I got to that point, note that the drive (Segate Free Agent 500
GB) did not auto-recognize.  I had to mount it in terminal to a mount point
I created (#mount_ntfs -o large /dev/da2s1 /media/USB_HD).  Once that
command was issued, then the drive icon appeared in "Places" and four new
mount points appeared under /media (FreeAgent Drive, FreeAgent Drive-1,
FreeAgent Drive-2, FreeAgent Drive-3).  The four new mount points were
empty.

In the Dolphin file tree, my designated mount point for the drive
(/media/USB_HD) also over-reported the 500 Gb drive properties at 7.3 TiB (I
wish).

Right clicking on the FreeAgent icon in "Places" did not produce a choice
for "Unmount FreeAgent".

Clicking on the FreeAgent icon in "Places" caused yet another mount point to
appear in /media, and repeatedly clicking continued to increment the mount
points with each click with each new mount point empty of contents.

I did a umount from terminal without incident, but it did not remove the
FreeAgent icon from "Places."  However, after the umount and the physical
unplugging of the USB connector cable, then the FreeAgent icon disappeared.

Next, when re-plugging the USB cable into the computer, the drive (1)
appeared automatically in "Places", (2) raised a "Devices Recently Plugged
In" window, which said "2 somethings are available".  Clicking that last
message got me to (3) pop up window letting me know "A new device has been
detected.  What do you want to do."  Clicking on "Open in Dolphin" created
three new mount point in /media but otherwise did nothing else.

I mounted the drive in terminal, and yet another three mount points showed
up.

How's that for behavior!

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio