[PC-BSD Testing] BIND problem in jail

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 21:16:24 PDT 2010

I had a custom AMP stack running
fine in a jail.

I accessed this on the local machine with
Firefox with no problems.

Then I decided to expose the server
 to the internet by reconfiguring the network card to use a static IP rather than DHCP because you can't
do port forwarding
 in a router on a DHCP network.

I've gotten this to work fine in
the past using a Lynksys router, but now using a Dlink and port forwarding
 just wouldn't work for some reason.  Changing the netcard config also
made accessing the server locally MUCH slower, like 15 seconds to access
 a page.  I had this same problem in PCBSD 7.1.1 before - accessing the
IP with a browser on the same machine was really slow compared to
another PC from the internet.  That system did not use a jail - the AMP
stack was custom installed
 directly.

I set everything back to the way it was but it had no
effect so I did a complete system upgrade.  Now I cannot access the
server at all - no response.

I can ping the jail's IP no problem
however.

I made no changes to the firewall which enabled the same
 exceptions as before for HTTP.

Also, after the upgrade from the
DVD, the Warden would not run.  Got an error stating that the program
information could not be found, or something like that.  So I
reinstalled it and here I am, stuck.  Had the same scenario when I
upgraded from 7.1.1 to 8 a few weeks ago.  Reimported the jail and still
 not working.

I believe this has nothing to do with the router as
 the jail's IP is local, right?

Why did changing the net settings
 block the jail, even after resetting them?  What would cause the server
 to slow down in response so much,
 before?

EDIT:
Just noticed when PC boots up and reports starting jail - syslogd shows error
message: BIND can't assign requested address.

What caused this
and how do I fix it?

...Jeff