[PC-BSD Testing] ad0sx vs ad0px ???

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Mar 22 08:03:01 PDT 2010

On 03/21/2010 12:38 PM, Walt Pawley wrote:
> At 10:11 AM -0500 3/21/10, Arthur wrote:
>
>>> (much replicated verbiage removed)
>>>
>> I see Parted Magic 4.9 was just released. Maybe give that a shot?
>>
>> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/partedmagic/pmagic-4.9.iso.zip
>>
> Did that. Did not try 4.7, which might even work. However, I
> have no trouble using gpt to generate a GPT partitioning of a
> drive. That really is not the problem I'm having. The problem
> revolves around the PC-BSD 8 installer which doesn't seem to
> like GPT. One might reasonably expect that given a whole drive
> with which to have its way and letting it partition as it
> chooses to do, it would simply work.
>
> I have a suspicion that it's related to recent fdisk behavior.
> During the drive setup, the installer dd's a bunch of zeros
> over the partition map area - but only the primary partition
> map. If the drive had a GPT partition map already, the
> secondary partition map would still be there. It's presence
> might be bollixing process.
>
> FWIW: I've switched gears, reinstalled PC-BSD 7 and am on my
> way to getting back to work I need to get done. But I did set
> up a USB drive to work on this on the side if anyone cares to
> kibitz.

I burned the 4.9 ISO and also updated my USB bootable to 4.9 and neither
complained about any missing files or had any errors. I am wondering if
the drive you put into this Compaq is SATA? If so, do you know if it is
SATA I or II? If SATA II, Is it possible it's one of those situation
where the mobo only supports SATA I and it's set to be SATA II? That
would trip things up if that is the case.

Arthur