[PC-BSD Testing] ad0sx vs ad0px ???

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Sun Mar 21 10:38:00 PDT 2010

At 10:11 AM -0500 3/21/10, Arthur wrote:
>> (much replicated verbiage removed)
>
>I see Parted Magic 4.9 was just released. Maybe give that a shot?
>
>http://downloads.sourceforge.net/partedmagic/pmagic-4.9.iso.zip

Did that. Did not try 4.7, which might even work. However, I
have no trouble using gpt to generate a GPT partitioning of a
drive. That really is not the problem I'm having. The problem
revolves around the PC-BSD 8 installer which doesn't seem to
like GPT. One might reasonably expect that given a whole drive
with which to have its way and letting it partition as it
chooses to do, it would simply work.

I have a suspicion that it's related to recent fdisk behavior.
During the drive setup, the installer dd's a bunch of zeros
over the partition map area - but only the primary partition
map. If the drive had a GPT partition map already, the
secondary partition map would still be there. It's presence
might be bollixing process.

FWIW: I've switched gears, reinstalled PC-BSD 7 and am on my
way to getting back to work I need to get done. But I did set
up a USB drive to work on this on the side if anyone cares to
kibitz.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company