[PC-BSD Testing] ad0sx vs ad0px ???

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Sat Mar 20 12:44:22 PDT 2010

At 9:54 AM -0500 3/20/10, Arthur wrote:
>At 01:42 AM 03/20/2010, you wrote:
>>Repeated machinations to get PC-BSD 8 installed on a Compaq
>>Presario, typically seemed to rapidly punk out with the
>>following from the installation log:
>>
>>Running: find-update-parts
>>kern.geom.debugflags: 0 -> 16
>>Cleaning up ad0
>>Running: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0 count=2048
>>2048+0 records in
>>2048+0 records out
>>1048576 bytes transferred in 5.216680 secs (201004 bytes/sec)
>>Running fdisk on ad0
>>Running: fdisk -I /dev/ad0
>>fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
>>fdisk: Class not found
>>******* Working on device /dev/ad0 *******
>>Stamping boot sector on ad0
>>Running: gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ad0
>>ad0 has bootcode
>>ERROR: The slice ad0s1 doesn't exist! FDISK Failure
>>Running: umount /cdmnt-install
>>umount: /cdmnt-install: statfs: No such file or directory
>>umount: /cdmnt-install: unknown file system
>>Trying DHCP on sis0  <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX>
>>Running: find-update-parts
>>
>>I started out expecting this to be a simple process, and wanted
>>several partitions to run some alternative OSs. Having failed
>>miserably with that lofty goal, I resigned myself to just get
>>PC-BSD 8 installed all by itself, letting the installer have
>>its head. All this retreating has been to no avail. The machine
>>seems to be working according to the testing I've done. It's
>>had previous PC-BSD versions running on it well enough.
>>
>>Curiously, to me at least, after these failed attempts, there
>>seem to be "devices" /dev/ad0p1, /dev/ad0p2 and /dev/ad0p3 but
>>no /dev/ad0sx's at all. If this is normal, I must be one the
>>very few people left on the planet who doesn't understand it
>>since there's precious little Google fodder about it.
>>
>>I'm pretty much stuck. Any pointers?
>
>Walter,
>
>... grab Parted Magic 4.8 (free) from here:
>https://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/partedmagic/Parted%20Magic%204.8/pmagic-4.8.iso.zip/download
>
>Unzip it and burn the ISO to a blank CD and then boot off the CD...

Sadly, Parted Magic doesn't seem to be all there (???). I get
some errors while it's unraveling squished data to RAM that
some directory it needs is not there. I tried a couple of
different versions. They all did the same thing.

There's a systemrescuecd-x86-1.5.0.iso that just finished
burning that's supposed to helpful in these matters as well.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company