[PC-BSD Testing] Unable to get Live PC-BSD to boot

Normand Fisher fishern at ncf.ca
Sat Mar 20 11:34:58 PDT 2010

I am trying to get the Live PC-BSD (v8 rc2) to work on my pc without
success.
I have successfully used the same DVD copies (32-bit and 64-bit) on
other machines without problems.
Initially after choosing option 3 'Live CD' I was getting a message such
as: "FAILURE-READ-BIG HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x08 ascq=0x03" followed by a
message to type exit.  I changed the optical drive and it solved that
first problem.
However, I am not much further ahead as I now get "can't exec getty
'/usr/libexec/getty' on port ttyv1" (actually 1 to 5).

I downloaded and burned the most recent version this morning but it is
no different. Could it be that PCBSD does not support SATA (this is the
only thing I
found on the web but it was referring to PCBSD 6.1)?

I have also changed AHCI mode to IDE and I still face the same problem.

Surprisingly, if I try to load PC-BSD Live on a virtual machine
(VirtualBox), it does run but at a, as expected, very slow pace.

The pc is a:
MOTHERBOARD is ASUS A8V-VM
CPU is AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (X86 family 15 Model 47 stepping 2
authenticAMD ~2200 Mhz)
BIOS is American Megatrends 080012, 12/27/2005
RAM is 768 MB

Searching the PC-BSD FAQ and googling failed to help me.

Any ideas where I should look for info?

Thanks
Normand