[PC-BSD Testing] ad0sx vs ad0px ???

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Sat Mar 20 07:54:11 PDT 2010

At 01:42 AM 03/20/2010, you wrote:
>Repeated machinations to get PC-BSD 8 installed on a Compaq
>Presario, typically seemed to rapidly punk out with the
>following from the installation log:
>
>Running: find-update-parts
>kern.geom.debugflags: 0 -> 16
>Cleaning up ad0
>Running: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0 count=2048
>2048+0 records in
>2048+0 records out
>1048576 bytes transferred in 5.216680 secs (201004 bytes/sec)
>Running fdisk on ad0
>Running: fdisk -I /dev/ad0
>fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
>fdisk: Class not found
>******* Working on device /dev/ad0 *******
>Stamping boot sector on ad0
>Running: gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ad0
>ad0 has bootcode
>ERROR: The slice ad0s1 doesn't exist! FDISK Failure
>Running: umount /cdmnt-install
>umount: /cdmnt-install: statfs: No such file or directory
>umount: /cdmnt-install: unknown file system
>Trying DHCP on sis0  <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX>
>Running: find-update-parts
>
>I started out expecting this to be a simple process, and wanted
>several partitions to run some alternative OSs. Having failed
>miserably with that lofty goal, I resigned myself to just get
>PC-BSD 8 installed all by itself, letting the installer have
>its head. All this retreating has been to no avail. The machine
>seems to be working according to the testing I've done. It's
>had previous PC-BSD versions running on it well enough.
>
>Curiously, to me at least, after these failed attempts, there
>seem to be "devices" /dev/ad0p1, /dev/ad0p2 and /dev/ad0p3 but
>no /dev/ad0sx's at all. If this is normal, I must be one the
>very few people left on the planet who doesn't understand it
>since there's precious little Google fodder about it.
>
>I'm pretty much stuck. Any pointers?
>--
>
>Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
>Wump Research & Company
>676 River Bend Road, Roseburg, OR 97471
>          541-672-8975

Walter,

Not sure how old or new this Compaq is but I bet dollars to donuts
there's a hidden partition tripping up the install and Compaqs / HPs
are notorious for this. If you don't care about the data on the disk
of this machine, go and grab Parted Magic 4.8 (free) from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/partedmagic/Parted%20Magic%204.8/pmagic-4.8.iso.zip/download

Unzip it and burn the ISO to a blank CD and then boot off the CD. Use
its utility called GParted and see if there's any hidden partitions
or other weirdness going on with the disk. If so, use GParted to just
blow away anything (partitions, etc.) and everything on the disk and
just format it to something benign like NTFS or just leave it
unformatted. Give that a shot.

Arthur