[PC-BSD Testing] ad0sx vs ad0px ???

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Fri Mar 19 23:42:12 PDT 2010

Repeated machinations to get PC-BSD 8 installed on a Compaq
Presario, typically seemed to rapidly punk out with the
following from the installation log:

Running: find-update-parts
kern.geom.debugflags: 0 -> 16
Cleaning up ad0
Running: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0 count=2048
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
1048576 bytes transferred in 5.216680 secs (201004 bytes/sec)
Running fdisk on ad0
Running: fdisk -I /dev/ad0
fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
fdisk: Class not found
******* Working on device /dev/ad0 *******
Stamping boot sector on ad0
Running: gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ad0
ad0 has bootcode
ERROR: The slice ad0s1 doesn't exist! FDISK Failure
Running: umount /cdmnt-install
umount: /cdmnt-install: statfs: No such file or directory
umount: /cdmnt-install: unknown file system
Trying DHCP on sis0  <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX>
Running: find-update-parts

I started out expecting this to be a simple process, and wanted
several partitions to run some alternative OSs. Having failed
miserably with that lofty goal, I resigned myself to just get
PC-BSD 8 installed all by itself, letting the installer have
its head. All this retreating has been to no avail. The machine
seems to be working according to the testing I've done. It's
had previous PC-BSD versions running on it well enough.

Curiously, to me at least, after these failed attempts, there
seem to be "devices" /dev/ad0p1, /dev/ad0p2 and /dev/ad0p3 but
no /dev/ad0sx's at all. If this is normal, I must be one the
very few people left on the planet who doesn't understand it
since there's precious little Google fodder about it.

I'm pretty much stuck. Any pointers?
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company