[PC-BSD Testing] Warning about NVidia new drivers

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Mar 8 06:08:16 PST 2010

*"We believe recent NVIDIA UNIX graphics drivers are affected by a
recently reported fan speed issue in 195.36.08 and 195.36.03.
Until the problem is resolved, we recommend that UNIX users revert to
the 190.53 web release, or the 195.30 public beta."*

As many of you are aware
<http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2055899>, NVIDIA has hit
some snags with their latest round of WHQL drivers. The drivers have
been interfering with the fan operation on certain NVIDIA video cards,
resulting in the GPU overheating. NVIDIA has taken down the drivers in
question, and has asked that we pass along the following message:

    We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with
    the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify
    and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers do not
    download this driver. Instead, please stay with, or return to 196.21
    WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed
    from our website and we also are asking our partners and others to
    remove temporarily this 196.75 WHQL driver as well.

    Here's a link for instructions on how to roll back your driver.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_rollback.html