[PC-BSD Testing] installation failed- filesystem is full

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Mar 4 03:36:44 PST 2010

On 03/02/2010 13:26, Andrei Kolu wrote:
> 2010/3/2 Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.com>
>
>> On 03/02/2010 11:46, Andrei Kolu wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>

>>> PC-BSD 8.0 DVD 64bit installation failed onto 15GB empty partition due to
>>> not enough free space. Is it so hard to calculate real disk usage before
>>> installation started?
>>>

>> 15GB seems to work fine here. Did you add any optional components? Those
>> aren't included in the size totals.
>>

>> First time I tried full install, second time only base, but it failed too.
> I freed third partition and now I have PCBSD installed on 37GB slice.
> Haven't looked at filesystem usage yet.
> One thing I worry about is inability to install into other slice with manual
> partitioning. With auto mode I was able to choose ad0s2 but in manual mode
> it went into ad0(ALL), I almost destroyed all my other partitions that way-
> one mouse click away from disaster.

Ouch, yea, when you click "auto" in manual mode, it just creates a
suggested partition list based upon the high-lighted disk in the
combobox above. May have to re-think that implementation a bit for 8.1 :)

>>   Why there is 18 kernel modules loaded wasting nearly 5 minutes of boot
>>> time
>>> from DVD? I'd suggest to compile those modules into kernel already to boot
>>> 10x faster.
>>>

>> We had originally done that, however it was causing problems with quite a
>> few systems, where a specific module would cause a kernel panic, or failure,
>> and with them compiled into the kernel it wasn't possible to disable it. The
>> new way is slower on the first boot, but far more reliable.
>
> Yes, but you can load modules after kernel already booted from cd/dvd (sound
> detection works that way already). Semi-automagically I'd say.

That is a possibility. A few of the modules need to be loaded at boot
though, because without them we may not be able to access the cd/dvd to
read the rest :) We'll have to investigate that, see which can be moved
to later in the boot process, see if it causes any issues.

> Long time no see, how ya doin? :)

Good! Keeping busy, happy with the new features in FreeBSD 8.0, even
more eager for 8.1 now :)

http://www.pcbsd.com