[PC-BSD Testing] installation failed- filesystem is full

Andrei Kolu antik at pcbsd.org
Tue Mar 2 05:26:12 PST 2010

2010/3/2 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>

> On 03/02/2010 11:46, Andrei Kolu wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>

>> PC-BSD 8.0 DVD 64bit installation failed onto 15GB empty partition due to
>> not enough free space. Is it so hard to calculate real disk usage before
>> installation started?
>>

> 15GB seems to work fine here. Did you add any optional components? Those
> aren't included in the size totals.
>

> First time I tried full install, second time only base, but it failed too.
I freed third partition and now I have PCBSD installed on 37GB slice.
Haven't looked at filesystem usage yet.
One thing I worry about is inability to install into other slice with manual
partitioning. With auto mode I was able to choose ad0s2 but in manual mode
it went into ad0(ALL), I almost destroyed all my other partitions that way-
one mouse click away from disaster.

>  Why there is 18 kernel modules loaded wasting nearly 5 minutes of boot
>> time
>> from DVD? I'd suggest to compile those modules into kernel already to boot
>> 10x faster.
>>

> We had originally done that, however it was causing problems with quite a
> few systems, where a specific module would cause a kernel panic, or failure,
> and with them compiled into the kernel it wasn't possible to disable it. The
> new way is slower on the first boot, but far more reliable.

Yes, but you can load modules after kernel already booted from cd/dvd (sound
detection works that way already). Semi-automagically I'd say.

Long time no see, how ya doin? :)